What is New York-style pizza crust? This is a question that many people have asked, and there is no one definitive answer.
Some say that it has to do with the sauce, others say it’s all about the crust. In this blog post, we will explore what makes New York-style pizza crust so special, and give you a recipe so you can make it at home!
What Is New York Style Pizza Crust?
New York-style pizza crust is characterized by its thinness and crispiness. It is made with high-gluten bread flour, which gives it a chewy texture. The dough is hand-tossed and then baked on a preheated baking stone or steel at a very high temperature (usually around 500 degrees Fahrenheit).
This results in a crust that is thin and crispy, with a slightly charred flavor. It should be noted that New York-style pizza is not the same as Neapolitan pizza, which is made with a softer, doughier crust.
Take a look at the steps to prepare the New York-Style pizza.
- Step One: Preheat the oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit. If you don’t have a baking stone or steel, you can preheat a heavy-duty baking sheet instead.
- Step Two: Mix the dough. In a large bowl, mix together the bread flour, salt, and yeast. Slowly add the water until the dough comes together. Knead the dough for about ten minutes to form a smooth, elastic ball.
- Step Three: Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and divide it into four equal pieces. Use a rolling pin to roll out each piece of dough into a thin circle.
- Step Four: Spread the sauce over the crusts. You can use any type of pizza sauce, but we recommend a classic red sauce made with tomatoes, garlic, and herbs.
- Step Five: Add your favorite toppings. Be sure to use fresh, high-quality ingredients for the best results.
- Step Six: Bake the pizzas for about ten minutes, or until the crusts are golden brown and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Main Ingredients In New York Pizza Crust
As we mentioned before, the main ingredient in New York-style pizza crust is high-gluten bread flour. Let’s discussed the type of flour and all the other ingredients used in New York pizza crust in detail.
Type Of Flour Used
The type of flour used in the production of New York-style pizza crust is very important. High-gluten bread flour has a higher protein content than all-purpose flour, and this helps to create a chewy texture.
It is important to use bread flour and not all-purpose flour, as the latter will result in a crust that is too tough. All-purpose flour is lower in protein and will not produce the same elasticity in the dough.
Type Of Yeast Used
There are two types of yeast that can be used to make pizza dough – active dry yeast and instant (or rapid-rise) yeast. Active dry yeast needs to be dissolved in water before it is added to the flour, while instant yeast can be added directly to the flour.
Type Of Oil Used
Oil plays an important part in the flavor and texture of pizza crust. It adds moisture to the dough, which prevents it from drying out during baking. It also helps to create a crispy crust.
The most commonly used oils in pizza dough are olive oil and vegetable oil. Olive oil has a strong flavor that some people may not like, so feel free to use vegetable oil instead.
Type Of Salt Used
The type of salt used in pizza dough is also important. Coarse salt is the best type of salt to use, as it dissolves slowly and evenly. This prevents the dough from becoming too salty.
New York City Water
It is said that the water in New York City is what gives the pizza its unique flavor. The water has a high mineral content, which some say contributes to the flavor of the pizza.
Type Of Sugar Used
The type of sugar used in pizza dough is not as important as the other ingredients. However, some people prefer to use honey or molasses instead of sugar, as they say, it gives the crust a slightly sweeter flavor.
Now that we know what goes into making New York-style pizza crust, let’s move on to the recipe!
We hope you enjoyed this article on New York-style pizza crust. If you have any questions or comments, please leave them below. And be sure to check out our other articles on all the other things related to the pizza.