Pizza lovers rejoice! Keeping with the preceding statistics, pizza is a much loved food. But have you ever wondered what exactly how many people in the USA into this delicious slice of goodness?
- How Much Pizza Is Consumed in the US Each Year?
- Some Quick Pizza Consumption Stats
- How Much Pizza Is Consumed Daily In The US?
- How Much Pizza Does The Average American Eat In Their Lifetime?
- Who Holds The World Record For Eating The Most Pizza At One Time?
- What Percentage of the Us Population Eats Pizza?
- Do Specific Age Groups Eat More Pizza Than Others?
- What Are The Most Popular Pizza Chains In the USA?
- What US States Eat The Most Pizza?
How Much Pizza Is Consumed in the US Each Year?
In the USA, approximately 3 billion pizzas are consumed each year. That is the equivalent of 100 acres of pizza every day or 350 slices per second. That’s a lot of pizza!
If you break it down to the number of slices per person per year, it equals 46 slices per year for every person in the USA. I think I can eat more!
Some Quick Pizza Consumption Stats
- 12.5% of people eat pizza on any day of the week.
- The majority of pizza is consumed at dinner time for adults and lunch time for kids.
- Think crust pizza is the most popular form.
- 17% of all restaurants in the USA are pizza shops. That totals 70,000+ restaurants.
- The average American typically eats approximately 23 pounds of pizza in a year.
- If a person eats pizza, that meal will make up 33% of their salt intake for the day.
How Much Pizza Is Consumed Daily In The US?
Every day, there are approximately 8.2 million pizzas eaten per day. This would fill an area of 100 acres with pizza. If you break it down to the number of slices sold each second, you get 350 slices per second.
How Much Pizza Does The Average American Eat In Their Lifetime?
On average, an American eats over 6000 slices in their entire life.
Who Holds The World Record For Eating The Most Pizza At One Time?
Joey Chestnut, a world champion competitive eater from California holds the world record for the most pizza eaten in a ten minute period. He was able to eat 40 and a half slices of pizza in 10 minutes during an event called the Pizza Hut Chow-lenge. This challenge was created by the International Federation of Competitive Eating.
This was the second time that Chestnut had tried the challenge and was successful this time.
That’s a lot of Pizza Hut pizza!
What Percentage of the Us Population Eats Pizza?
Approximately 94% of Americans eat pizza on a regular basis. 83% of these eat pizza at least once per month, while 40% eat it on an average of once per week.
Do Specific Age Groups Eat More Pizza Than Others?
Typically, most pizza consumers are of younger generations in the range of ages 6-19, but the oldest consumers of pizza are 55-80 years of age. According to the American Marketing Association, the oldest consumers of pizza buy their pizza from supermarkets or grocery stores more frequently than pizza sold other places. Many of these older consumers prefer the convenience of grocery stores over discount stores because they feel the quality of pizza from grocery stores is superior.
What Age Group Eats The Most Pizza?
Americans between the ages of 6 to 19 eat the most pizza. This is followed by ages 20-34.
What Are The Most Popular Pizza Chains In the USA?
The top 10 pizza restaurant changes in the USA in order of popularity are:
- Pizza Hut
- Domino’s Pizza
- Little Ceasar’s
- Papa John’s
- Papa Murphy’s Pizza
- Marco’s Pizza
- Godfather’s Pizza
- Hungry Howie’s Pizza
- Check E. Cheese’s
- MOD Pizza
The top 3 sell more pizza than the rest combined!
What US States Eat The Most Pizza?
The top 10 US states that eat the most pizza in order are:
- Rhode Island
- New Jersey
- New Hampshire
- West Virginia
I was actually quite surprised by this list. I expected to see Illinois and New York in this list but they didn’t make the top 10!